Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Editing Phase

This whole summer I tried to produce this short story to use for my workshop application and grad application, but the idea I had in my head spiraled out of control. It jumped from one thing to another, twisted itself, and then grew into its own.

It's weird how the creative process works. As the writer of the story, I think I'm in control, but I'm not not. The characters seem to create themselves and make their own identity. The story unfolds the way it wants to, and every time I try to have a say in it, they respond by giving me writer's block or what I want to convey just turns out awkward and ends up being deleted.

Now I know what Professor Glazner meant about letting the story unfold for itself. You just have to go with it and let it flow. At the same time, there should be some structure, but not to the extent that it'll hinder creativity.

Now that my draft is done, I'm gonna take a week break from it before I get into editing. Fingers crossed that my end product is just how I hoped it would be.

But for now. GRE's take priority this week.

Wish me luck.

-Miss M

No comments:

Post a Comment