Thursday, June 4, 2015

Book Review: P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han

I rated it 5 out of 5 stars.



Overview: Lara Jean didn’t expect to really fall for Peter.
She and Peter were just pretending. Except suddenly they weren’t. Now Lara Jean is more confused than ever.
When another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean’s feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once?

In this charming and heartfelt sequel to the New York Times bestseller To All the Boys I've Loved Before, we see first love through the eyes of the unforgettable Lara Jean. Love is never easy, but maybe that’s part of what makes it so amazing.


Review: I rated this as 5, because as a teenager, I knew I would have loved the book. And as an adult, the fact that I can still love it warrants the high score.

In a nutshell this book is sweet, charming, light-hearted, and very cute. It's like teddy bears and chocolate chip cookies, truffles and unicorns cute. Not sure if I'm getting the point across correctly, but you know what I mean, right? It's first love cute, which is exactly what it is.

I actually liked this sequel better than the first book. Han was still able to get the plot line going, and familiarity of the characters was welcoming. Her characters are vivid with their own personalities and the scenes remind me of my own time in high school rendering her main character's point of view relatable. The whole cast was realistic and the roller coaster ride of the relationship and insecurities that go along with it was done very convincingly.

The prose is not magnificent, and setting not very memorable, but what is memorable is the nostalgia that comes along with it. Whether it's pigging out on ice cream sandwiches with friends, digging up time capsules, playing tag, and making Valentine's. It takes me down my own memory lane. Jenny Hans knows young adults, and she is specifically writing for them. For that I applaud her.

Also bonus points for adding some culture and adding in some dialogue about feminism and beautiful talk about not needing a man to fulfill you. Good points to have there for young girls!

If you haven't started the duology, check out my review on To All The Boys I've Loved Before.

No comments:

Post a Comment