Monday, February 1, 2016

Drafting, glasses, & my latest obsessions, oh my!

I'm back at drafting my next WIP and it feels awesome but scary at the same time! I haven't drafted since April when I wrote Diamond Queen so it always feels new and different when I get back at it again. Drafting is a different kind of animal compared to revising and editing, but the best way I go about it is to flash draft (which averages about 4-6 weeks depending on the idea). To keep myself accountable I aim for a daily word count of 2K. I can't always make the 2K, but if by the end of the week I can get to 15K, I'm happy.

And it just so happens that I met my goal for week 1!


Now, I just need to keep at this pace and I'll be golden (as long as I can keep my internal editor in check).

This past week was also strange because I was getting used to my new prescription glasses. This is my first time ever wearing glasses so it came with a learning curve. At first it made me really nauseous, and now my eye won't stop twitching. Oh well, you lose some you win some, I guess.


I've also tried to keep my distractions at a minimum so that I can focus on drafting, but who am I kidding. My latest obsessions? Orphan Black, Wolf by Wolf, and trying new things.



Have you ever had a multi-grain latte? According to my barista, it's pretty common in Japan and Korea, but it was totally new to me. It has no coffee in it whatsoever, but was marketed as a protein-filled-afternoon-productivity-boost (her words, not mine!). I managed to get 1K words in after drinking it, so I guess it worked?


Also, these donut holes with coconut cream. There's no significance to them, except that they were delicious!


Also had a date with this stud who introduced me to SOMM: Into the bottle, a neat documentary about what goes into wine. Spoiler: it's not just grapes!



How was your week? What's your current read or latest obsession? Comment below!

4 comments:

  1. The glasses are cute! It'll take a little bit of getting used to. Just keep some aspiring handy, you might get headaches. I've had glasses since I was a kid, but everytime I get new ones, it takes a few days to get used to.

    I think I might try a fast draft this time, now that I'm drafting again--not to the level of 2K a day, but at least to the point where I'm not ponderously still writing a first draft in six months' time.

    And Orphan Black! Love that show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your new glasses! I've been wearing some since I was a kid (right now contacts ;) ) but each new prescription takes a couple days to get used to.

    I'm starting a new draft right now too. It's the first full length one in over a year and feels so strange to get into. I'd love to get it done in 4-6 weeks, but I don't think I'm quite as quick as you. Go get those words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The glasses are so cute! ^_^
    I'm a contact person but I love glasses!

    Over 15k already!! Omg, that's amazing!!
    I freaking love Orphan Black. ^_^

    I've never heard of a multi-grain latte, but I'd totally try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Need some new fangled thots and ideers?? Look no firdr, brudda...

    Greetings, earthling! Can't stay long, done gotta git, Paw ...yet, if I'm a sower, we plant the Seed; if I'm an artist, we write the Word:

    I actually saw Seventh-Heaven when we died: you couldn't GET any moe curly, extravagantly-surplus-lush Upstairs when my beautifull, brilliant, bombastic, bawlsy girly passed-away at 17 (God calls U.S. home regardless of our maturity).

    "Those who are wise will shine as brightly as the expanse of the Heavens, and those who have instructed many in uprightousness, as bright as stars for all eternity"
    -Daniel 12:3

    Here's what the prolific, exquisite GODy sed: 'the more you shall honor Me, the more I shall bless you'
    -the Infant Jesus of Prague.

    Go git'm, girl. You're incredible.
    See you Upstairs...
    I won't be joining'm in da nasty Abyss where Isis lies
    infowars.com
    thesuperseedoftime.blogspot.com

    -YOUTHwitheTRUTH

    ReplyDelete