Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Book Review: Dreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor

I rated it 4 out of 5 stars.

Overview: By way of a staggering deception, Karou has taken control of the chimaera rebellion and is intent on steering its course away from dead-end vengeance. The future rests on her, if there can even be a future for the chimaera in war-ravaged Eretz.

Common enemy, common cause.

When Jael's brutal seraph army trespasses into the human world, the unthinkable becomes essential, and Karou and Akiva must ally their enemy armies against the threat. It is a twisted version of their long-ago dream, and they begin to hope that it might forge a way forward for their people.

And, perhaps, for themselves. Toward a new way of living, and maybe even love.

But there are bigger threats than Jael in the offing. A vicious queen is hunting Akiva, and, in the skies of Eretz ... something is happening. Massive stains are spreading like bruises from horizon to horizon; the great winged stormhunters are gathering as if summoned, ceaselessly circling, and a deep sense of wrong pervades the world.

What power can bruise the sky?

From the streets of Rome to the caves of the Kirin and beyond, humans, chimaera and seraphim will fight, strive, love, and die in an epic theater that transcends good and evil, right and wrong, friend and enemy.

At the very barriers of space and time, what do gods and monsters dream of? And does anything else matter?


Review: So I finished this sometime last week. This one took me awhile to get through because it was just so dense. Because I admire Taylor's writing and thought it was a fair conclusion to the trilogy I rated it a 4 even though I was leaning towards 3.5. Though the story was good, it just dragged on. Too much flowery writing that normally I would love, filled me with dread as I trudged through it. Though I pride myself in reading every little word a writer writes, I'm sad to say that I had to skim a lot of parts because nothing happened, it was just the same descriptions of emotions and yearning time and time again. The ending was okay, though I felt it really anti-climatic.

Obviously from the lack of enthusiasm in my review I was disappointed. Still a great series though! I'd still recommend it to others.

2 comments:

  1. hmmm. Well, that's unfortunate haha. I will read up to the second and then see if I want to finish it off.

    ReplyDelete