Saturday, March 8, 2014

Divergent Movie Review - Divergent Movie Tour (Seattle)

So I know I said I would post this yesterday, but I was traveling to Palm Dessert and got swept away by the beautiful sunshine!

Alright, so here it goes. I was lucky enough the get an event pass to the advanced screening of DIVERGENT! So they gave me this:


 A wristband! Michael and I arrived three hours prior, because I wasn't sure we had to wait in line for seats, but luckily we didn't. So we went to an italian cafe for a bit to wait for the movie.


When we came back there was a large group of people waiting for the red carpet to begin. I'm so sad I didn't get much photos, but it was just too darn hectic and what I really wanted to see was the movie. Though I'm sure I missed out since Jai Courtney and Miles Teller were there. The staff there was also handing out tons of swag too! I got a pin:


Once we went to get out seats however, we had to check in our phones and what not. When it was finally time for the movie, Miles Teller and Jai Courtney did a short intro and yay, finally! The wait was not in vain.

Alright, so movie review:

I really really really loved it. I mean, you know it's great if the author, Roth, likes it. But being a fan and falling in love with the book and seeing it replicated true to the story was beautiful. I think it was the best adaption of a YA novel to screen, so far.

The cast was exceptional. The casting was perfect, it was just like how I imagined it in my head. The visuals were great and the adapted screenplay really nailed it. If you're a fan of the book, you will not be disappointed. Already I want to watch it again.

An aside, but still relevant:

It's funny that even at twenty-two I can still get swept in fandom. As I sat in the theater watching these tweens and teenagers, mixed with their parents and some adults all having a blast even though we were all spending essentially almost half a day to see a two-hour movie, the energy was without fail, electric!

So what is it that turns books into fandoms into movies?

Well this is where Summit Entertainment, excels. It's a beautiful formula really. They take a book with a fan base already, then they make the movie that creates another type of experience for the reader (they allow the reader to fall in love with the book once again, but in a different medium). Summit did this with Twilight, Hunger Games, and now Divergent. They key to the success, however, is to keep true to the book. The fan base is already loyal to the book, try to do something creative and go off the mark, you'll be face with an angry mob. Instead, make the fans happy by giving them the story and bring that to life, because that's what they're looking for. A lot of us our visual, so when we finally get to see what we imagined in our minds, it's a great movie experience.

Also, a kick-ass soundtrack doesn't hurt either.

No comments:

Post a Comment