Monday, December 24, 2012

Manuscript

Three days ago, I told myself that by the end of winter quarter, I will have a completed rough draft of a manuscript. The deadline I gave myself will be my 22nd Birthday on March 26. Three months. I think this is a good enough time frame even if I'm going to school full-time. I guess there's a part of me that wants to leave college feeling accomplished or with something to begin my career as a writer. Not that this manuscript would make me a writer, but I would actually feel like one (we all need an ego-boost once and a while). It may not be something that would get published, but I think it'll provide me with a great lesson, teaching me patience and the rewards of tenacity.

Personally, to complete this undertaking would just be monumental. The end goal for me is to get a novel published. For me, to share my words and stories, in the hopes of changing someone's life would be the greatest accomplishment I could ever receive.

Baby steps though. The first being to write everyday, until I can hold a stack of papers filled with my own words in my hands, happily smiling, with my eyes brimming with tears of joy at something I can be proud of. And of course, celebrating with a glass of my favorite wine!

Until then. My daily goal is 1,000 words per day (although, how diligently I can meet this goal really depends on my course load. Nonetheless, I'm optimistic!). I'm thinking my manuscript will be about 100,000 words long.

After three days, I'm at 10,000, hence my blog post to celebrate this mini step. Although, this is attributed to the fact that I've been on vacation. Nonetheless, I hope my enthusiasm for this story does not lessen with each passing day.

My characters are depending on me and I mustn't let them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment