Sunday, February 23, 2014

Book Review: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Rated: 4 stars out of 5

So a few weeks ago before my trip to Boston, I perused the book store wanting something to read on my long flight. My eyes caught the cute cover of Fangirl.


At first I didn't expect much, but then I read the synopsis on the back. In short, it's a coming-of-age novel about Cath, a young girl entering college with her twin sister, who's a really great fan fiction writer. Her sister, who has contributed to the fan fiction decides to branch out and let go of the fandom, but that's something Cath just can't seem to do. Now, Cath is on her own and completely outside of her comfort zone as she navigates life away from her fragile father as she's faced with a surly roommate, a charming guy that always seems to be hanging around, and a professor who doesn't see fan fiction the same way she does.

I decided to read it, wanting a feel good book and lately I've been hearing so many good things about Rainbow Rowell that I just decided to go for it.

One thing that makes me keep reading rather than tossing the book is the writing and its readability. I found that in this novel, the fluidity of the writing was great making it easy to imagine the scenes and characters in my mind. Another thing that keeps me interested are characters. They just can't be bland. They need to pop out and be distinguishable. I found that I really enjoyed Cath as the main character, not to mention the quirkiness of Levi who's not the typical love interest you find in YA.

But I think the great thing about this enjoyable read was the simplicity in its plot line. It just goes to show that a story doesn't need to be heavily emotional or complicated. Thus, this book is great because its relatable to those who read it. You find a part of yourself in each and every character, or you've known someone who's just like one of the characters which makes you care about them that you keep flipping the page to see what happens next.

So if your looking for a feel good read. Then pick up Fangirl. I rated it 4 out of 5 stars. It was a great book, but I didn't rate it a 5 because 5's for me are books that make me want more, makes me go through an emotional roller coaster, or makes me so much in love with a character that I wish they existed in real life.


No comments:

Post a Comment