Friday, December 27, 2013

Lessons after my First Draft

The end of the year has been so busy! This post has been delayed, but finally I am sitting down to write it.

This year I've written two manuscripts, both of which are first drafts. The most important thing about writing the first draft for me was "the act of writing". By that I mean I needed to write on a daily basis or create a large volume of work. My college years were dedicated to small pieces and now that I'm out, I have the time to focus on larger pieces.

To those who want to start out writing something novel length. My advice is to write every day and give yourself a word count per day. Achieve that and you'll get a manuscript done in no time. Remember, to be a writer, you have to be writing.

I may not have tremendous experience in novels, but I hope that in sharing my experience with my work, that you'll feel encouraged to try it for yourself.

So here are a few things I've learned along the way:

1. Your first draft will not be the only draft.
2. Don't wait for the words to come, instead just fill it up with what comes to mind.
3. Don't worry too much about mechanics or misspelled words, that fine tuning of work will come later.
4. I know it's tempting, but don't go back and keep rereading, you need to progress forwards not backwards.
5. Write out of order or sequence, just write something.
6. Read encouraging blogs, or start your own to keep you motivated.
7. Read books that are in the genre you're writing in.
8. Read books about writing.
9. Talk about your story to trusted others.
10. Set a timeline.

To break it down in lengthier bits:

1. Your first draft will not be the only draft. Let's face it. No one's first draft is perfect. So roam free and wild in your writing. In the first draft you get to be really creative, explore your characters, the scenes, and get to know the world you're creating. The "real" writing is in the revision and subsequent drafts because once you get the first draft done the shape of your story takes shape and each revision makes the story/shape clearer and sharper with more direction.

2. Don't wait for the words to come, instead just fill it up with what comes to mind. If you're waiting for that stroke of genius to come to you or the inspiration to write, then be prepared to wait forever for your novel to be done. Write when things are good. Write when things are bad. Don't know what word choice to use? Skip it and put a placer. You can always go back and revise it. Can't get a particular scene down? Make a note with brackets on what will go there during your revision right smack in the manuscript. Remember, the first draft is for you. No one has to read it. [Put all the brackets you want] and then continue with the story.

3. Don't worry too much about mechanics or misspelled words, that fine tuning of work will come later. If you're like me and you cringe at every grammar error, all I can say is I feel your pain, but it is okay to look past it for now. Just keep going with your story. Don't let the grammar hangups pull you out of your rhythm. During your final stages, you'll get the chance to clean up those errors line by line.

4. I know it's tempting, but don't go back and keep rereading, you need to progress forwards not backwards. If you want to change something in the story midway, just make the change there and continue on. You can go back on your revision and change it easily. Characters name, color of their hair, subplot, and whatever, change it later.

5. Write out of order or sequence, just write something. You want to write another scene instead of the current one you're working on? Then go for it, it may even spark some ideas for the scenes inbetween.

6. Read encouraging blogs, or start your own to keep you motivated. Hopefully my blog can do that for you, but please do read blogs from your fave authors and read about their experiences. You can always learn from someone else's experience and it motivates you to keep going.

7. Read books that are in the genre you're writing in. It'll remind you why you're writing in that genre and why you love it even when you have a bad writing day.

8. Read books about writing. Seriously, it keeps you motivated, you learn, and it makes you think about your own writing and writing style.

9. Talk about your story to trusted others. When you talk about it, you give it life. It makes you excited about it. It makes you want to write about it. It forces you to explore your story more when someone who doesn't know about your story world asks questions, giving you a different view point.

10. Set a timeline, because a goal without a deadline is nothing but a dream. I didn't make my deadline, but I still finished. It gave me a direction and something to aim for, making me more accountable for my work. I suggest the same. For my second manuscript it took me about two months. So go at your pace, set your own deadlines whether it be pages, word counts, or whichever.

Happy writing everyone! I hope this post was somewhat encouraging and helpful :)

No comments:

Post a Comment